Sunday, April 5, 2015

#106: Lent Reflections - Week Six - EASTER




















Lesson - Watch out for hollow Easter bunnies.

This final week of Lent has continued to open my eyes to setting priorities.

I kept my gym appointments, even with our busy schedules and other commitments. We replaced our dishwasher, even though I really want to buy a couch. It's all about priorities...

I hope you go to church and can feel like the pastor is talking directly to you. It is an amazing feeling. I don't get it every week...but usually if I can calm my heart and really ask for God to show me how I can learn, I will hear it...today it was crystal clear. I went to the outdoor sunrise service (6:15am) with a neighbor/friend and it was a perfect morning. Crisp but not cold. The music was beautiful. I think I'm safe to estimate that there were hundreds of people there to hear the good news that HE IS RISEN. I've heard this message many times and in many ways...but I specifically asked God to show me what He needed me to learn to carry forward as my Lent journey came to a close...and He did!

The homily today was about a hollow Easter bunny. As Father David started, I couldn't help but ask my friend - "are you serious?" She knows that I've been on a personal journey to rededicate myself physically, emotionally and spiritually during Lent and I couldn't believe how perfect this message was as the finale. He explained that we need to seek what's above and stop reaching for the hollow Easter bunnies. Stop reaching for the fat, sugar and empty calories that may taste good for the instant - but will only leaving you wanting more. He went beyond the obvious to layer on all of the external "things" that motivate us - furniture (have I mentioned how bad I've been wanting a new couch for our activity room), clothes, unused exercise equipment, toys, etc. My mind was racing with examples of my hollow Easter bunnies...all of the things I WANT...none of which I NEED. We must focus and make decisions based on priorities that are centered on our life with Christ. We must learn that external motivators only make us more hungry and that the only thing that can leave us feeling full of peace is God and his ultimate sacrifice for our sins...thereby making the ultimate promise of everlasting life.

So, as we move forward from this Lent season, may we remember our lessons and continue to build each other up. May we express our love. May we not fear our future. May we set priorities with our faith in mind and may we always be on the lookout for hollow Easter bunnies...

Happy Easter Kiddos!!!

I love you.

Mom

PS: for what it matters - I prefer solid chocolate Easter bunnies anywas! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment