Tuesday, October 29, 2013

#6: Choose Your Battles

I have made a very conscious decision that dressing yourself is a form of independence that I fully support. Many people do not subscribe to this parenting technique...Sometimes, your outfits can be a lot little crazy, but unless we are going to a fancy wedding or an event that they have to wear something specific - I usually like the crazy look. I think it says something about me as a mom.

I believe it says:
  • I love to showcase your independence.
  • I support your creativity.
  • I encourage you to learn about colors/patterns/textures/etc.
  • I promote your "I CAN (WILL) DO IT MYSELF" attitude.
  • I will not be embarrassed that you can dress themselves.
  • I enjoy seeing you embrace and develop your personal style.
  • I am helping you create a sense of self. 
  • I live vicariously through you - I wish I could dress crazy too!
  • I am happy when you are happy and comfortable!

Lesson: Choose Your Battles...unless you are are going to a special event, dress yourself; be proud of what you pick and embrace your personality! Some battles are worth fighting, but this form of appropriate independence - not so much...remember that and I sure hope that one day you will allow your kids to dress themselves too!

No comments:

Post a Comment